During your time at our office, our team works hard to improve your oral health. It is essential, however, that you continue taking care of your smile at home through consistent oral hygiene. Good dental hygiene includes a number of daily habits and practices that help to keep your smile healthy and bright. Our dentists and team recommend that you follow these basic steps to help your smile stay in optimal health:
- Brush your teeth after each meal or at least twice a day. We encourage you to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a toothpaste that includes fluoride. Rinse with a fluoride mouth rinse if advised to do so by our dentists.
- Make sure that children under 12 drink fluoridated water or use a fluoride supplement.
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months.
- Floss at least once every day. The most important time to floss is just before you go to sleep at night.
- Eat a balanced diet. Limiting your intake of very sugary and acidic foods can help to prevent tooth decay. Limit snacking between meals.
- Maintain your regular visits with our dentists every six months. During these visits, we will provide a professional teeth cleaning and a thorough dental exam to make certain we provide any needed preventive or restorative treatments.
When you visit our dentists and team, we will review your dental hygiene habits with you and offer needed information on any additional steps you can take to further improve your oral health. To learn more about dental hygiene and schedule your next appointment at our office, we welcome you to call or visit us today.